Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Elections

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been following very closely to the presidential elections in November – November 30th, to be exact*. After several years of fighting between the rebel-held north and the government-dominated south, the two parties signed a peace agreement in March 2007 and planned to hold elections on November 30, 2008. However, the elections are not likely to occur on this date. When I arrived in Cote d’Ivoire, I asked a few of my colleagues their thoughts on the elections: Will it happen on Nov. 30th? They all shook their heads and sigh: they will be delayed – next year it will happen. Another colleague agreed: it will happen, but it’ll result in more rioting and fighting.


So, why the delay? The northern rebel army (Forces Nouvelles) is in the process of reintegrating back into the Ivorian army, but the process is slow in disarming and dismantling the local militias and ex-combatants. Even now, there are a few riots that break out, although mainly in the north. The country must go through a reunification process before conducting a sound election. Another delay is the voter registration process, which has experienced some problems that are hindering its progression.


Even though the government hasn’t officially announced it, it’s very likely the elections won’t occur in November. But things are looking up. Billboards have sprung up about voting (see photo). “Let us go towards Peace. Let us go to the Elections. Quick... Quick... Quick... ~ Laurent Gbagbo (current President)”. This made me smile, because at least, it seems that Cote d’Ivoire is anxious to move forward.


* I am also following very closely to the US presidential elections. I even voted already!

No comments: